Dear Resident of Hitchin and Harpenden
I am delighted to be the Labour Party candidate for the constituency where I live. When the General Election was called, I saw it as an opportunity to step forward and do my bit.
During my teaching career I have seen the devastating impact that years of austerity and unnecessary upheaval in school organisation are having on our children’s education.
The school of which I am head in Camden serves an ethnically and culturally diverse population. It is an amazing place and it is a privilege to work with very dedicated individuals who do what they do because it makes a difference. But too frequently I see under-resourced, declining services struggling to meet the needs of the most vulnerable. Growing numbers of families that I meet on a daily basis are forced to use food banks, and far too many children live in inadequate and expensive housing.
I see the decline of Britain’s living standards not only in London, but increasingly in our own constituency. Despite its apparent prosperity, in Hitchin and Harpenden there are pockets of deprivation, inadequate housing, poverty in work, poor health care and struggling schools, the effects of which touch all of us.
The Conservative policy of systematic underfunding of our NHS and all of our public services needs to be put right.
John joined the Labour party as a teenager, but lapsed during teacher training at the then Hertfordshire College of Higher Education near Watford. He is a member of the NUT and has held various officer roles in its Hertfordshire branch.
John rejoined the Labour Party in adult life, then a year ago became the chair of Hitchin branch. He has stood as a ward candidate in the 2016 district council elections. In the EU referendum, John campaigned to Remain in the EU, and more recently he campaigned to help Judi Billing hold Hitchin North for Labour in the County elections.
He has taught all over Hertfordshire and his first headship was in Stevenage. He worked as an education adviser for Islington before returning to headship at a primary school in Camden.
He lives in Chesfield ward, North Herts district, with his wife and family.
As your MP I would work hard so that constituents have a voice that is heard on what we want for ourselves and our country:
- Homes that are affordable and sustainable so that our young people are not forced to live with parents and friends for years
- Brexit negotiation that will minimise harm to our economy, and will protect the residency of our friends living overseas and the staffing of our already beleaguered NHS and social care providers
- Local GPs who have time for us so as to give us the best possible care
- Hospitals to have enough staff and resources to meet the needs of our aging population without ever-lengthening waiting lists
- Schools with enough funding to provide every child with a great education, at their local school
- A decent rail service with affordable fares into London
You can always contact me on email@example.com or
@jh66111 and on facebook.com/hitchin.harpenden.labclp/
Promoted by Deborah Segalini on behalf of John Hayes, both of 148 Bearton Road Hitchin, Herts SG5 1UB